Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Stevie Joe, JC, and Mike Huckabee

As regular readers of the Stevie Joe Parker's Guide to Life Know, I am pretty tight with JC. I'm not exactly a Bible-thumper, but I'm close to the Big Guy. So, I take notice when folks express a similar interest. Like Mike Huckabee. Mike is using JC in his latest political ads (not sure if he is being paid an appearance fee). So, I wanted to see how Mike's stand on various political issues stacked up with my impression of Jesus' teaching. A little What Would Mike Do (WWMD) versus What Would Jesus Do (WWJD):

War in Iraq/War on Terror
WWMD:
• "Iraq is a battle in our generational, ideological war on terror."
• "I believe that we are currently engaged in a world war. This war is not a conventional war, and these terrorists are not a conventional enemy."

WWJD:
• "Blessed are the peacemakers."
• "If anyone says, 'I love God,' yet hates his brother, he is a liar."
• "Put your sword back in its place for all who take the sword will die by the sword."
• "My command is this: love each other as I have loved you."

Cuba
WWMD:
• "As President, I will oppose any efforts to lift trade and travel restrictions on the Cuban dictatorship and will veto any legislation seeking to lift these restrictions . . ."

WWJD:
• "Love thy neighbor."
• "Love your enemies."

Immigration
WWMD:
• "Securing our borders must be our top priority and has reached the level of a national emergency."
• "I oppose and will never allow amnesty."
• "I oppose and will not tolerate sanctuaries for illegals."

WWJD:
• “…for I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me,I was naked and you gave me clothing, I was sick and you took care of me, I was in prison and you visited me…. Truly I tell you, just as you did it to one of the least of these who are members of my family, you did it to me.”"
• “There is no longer Jew or Greek; there is no longer slave or free; there is no longer male or female; for all of you are one in Christ Jesus.”
• "Let mutual love continue. Do not neglect to show hospitality to strangers, for by doing that some have entertained angels without knowing it."

[Of course, JC himself was an undocumented immigrant and refugee.]

Death Penalty
WWMD:
• "I believe there is a place for a death penalty. Some crimes are so heinous, so horrible that the only response that we, as a civilized nation, have for a most uncivil action is not only to try to deter that person from ever committing that crime again, but also as a warning to others that some crimes truly are beyond any other capacity for us to fix."

WWJD:
• "Forgive them, for they know not what they do."
• "He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first."
• "Bless those who persecute you; bless and do not curse... Repay no one evil for evil... do not avenge yourselves, but rather give place to wrath; for it is written, 'Vengeance is Mine, I Will repay,' says the Lord."

Somebody say, "Amen!"
Stevie Joe Parker

No comments: