Sunday, January 28, 2007

Stevie Joe Stranded on the Tundra

As Mrs. Stevie Joe so thoughtfully posted, I had to leave Junebug Holler to go see my Aunt Fanny. Unfortunately, on the way there, the Big Blue Wagon threw a fan belt. I was able to keep running on the battery for a bit, but she gave it up in the middle of nowhere. I decided to try to hike it to the next town to get a tow. I brought along the old lawn chair I had in the back of the car in case I needed to stop and rest a bit. It was a good thing, too.

It was damned cold, about 6 degrees I read later, and the wind was really whipping it up. I stopped a few times and sat in the chair just to turn my back to the wind. A few cars went by, and I tried to hitch a ride. They all kept right on going until a big shiny new pick-up pulled alongside.

The fella driving that pick-up is my new best bud, Len. He's a farmer in the area and willing to help out a soul in need. He took me to town to arrange a tow, and then invited me to stay at his place for the night. How's that for hospitality? I'm using his computer now to catch up on the blog.

Here are some pictures I got before my camera froze up:
This is one of me hitching that Len took for me. He had already stopped, of course, but he thought it was a pretty funny sight. So, I posed for him.
This one gives a sense of the cold and desolation I faced. I'm cold again just looking at it.
Here's another cold and desolation shot. The grain bin off in the distance is Len's farm.
Here's a picture of Len's farm, and it's a big one. Unfortunately, it's the last shot I got before the camera froze up.

By the way, I never did make it to see Aunt Fanny. She's already been released from the hospital. She's 72, but a tough old cookie. I think she's in better shape than me. She fell down doing pilates if you can believe that.

The local garage should get the Big Blue Wagon going tomorrow. I'll head home then.

Keep warm,
Stevie Joe Parker

No comments: