Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Another Report from Stevie Joe in Second Life

While I am still sick, I'm feeling slightly better today. I can now use the caps key. Maybe Junior's Tennessee "remedy" is starting to have an effect.

I have just enough strength to explore Second Life so I can give you all another report. Of course, doing so has ticked off Mrs. Stevie Joe (but then, what doesn't?). She believes that if I'm well enough to "play around on that damn computer," then I'm well enough to mow the lawn. Obviously, this just isn't true, but just try explaining that to Mrs. Stevie Joe.

One thing that struck me right away was the diversity of the folks in Second Life. I've read that those of us in the US of A are in the minority, and I believe it. I've met people from all around the world, and English is not the primary language in many regions. Folks are also quite diverse socially. Second Life appears to be a haven for those who might feel out of place in the "real world" because they are somehow different. With 6.2 million residents in Second Life to date, it's easy to find others who share your interests.

As a result (even though the fine people of Junebug Holler might be aghast), Second Life has become popular with gays, lesbians, wiccans, and Democrats. You'll also find Greens, environmentalists, artists, Quakers, writers, musicians, and Roman Catholics.

It's sort of a United Nations for the disaffected, and I'm loving it so far.

p.s. If you missed the first installment in these reports, check it out here.

My what a nice avatar you have,
Stevie Joe Parker

No comments: