Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Stevie Joe Gets All Up With People

Sunday morning, while listening to Pastor Luke droning on and on about something or other, I was thinking about my commitment to being more positive and how that relates to church. It seems to me that some churches are primarily negative - focusing on sin, penance, eternal damnation, and whatnot. Others seem to be concerned with the positive - helping one another, seeing the divine in our world, blah, blah, blah.

Whether a church emphasizes the negative or positive seems to depend more on the preacher than the religion. It seems that you can take most religions either way, but it's the preacher that sets the tone in a church. Maybe that's why I liked Farmer Len's Quaker meeting. They have no clergy. You make of it what you will, and, overall, they seemed like pretty upbeat folks.

Like I've said before, me and JC are pretty close. I consider Him to be an optimist. He seems to see the good in everyone, even Junior (which is pretty darned hard to do). I'll try to keep myself on the JC track and see the good in folks. Now, that's going to be a tall bill when it comes to President Numbnuts, but I'll do my best.

I'll bet he's good at tapping a keg,
Stevie Joe Parker

No comments: