Monday, February 26, 2007

Stevie Joe Watches the Oscars

The fine citizens of Junebug Holler came over to the Parker estate last night to watch the Oscars. I don't if that means that the State of the Union Affair has been forgiven or if after watching the Super Bowl at Junior's house folks felt that my place was the lesser of two evils. Personally, I feel it was my patented baloney salad sandwiches that tipped the balance.

None of the films nominated for Best Picture played on any screen within 50 miles of Junebug Holler. So, we were kind of lost when it came time to choose a favorite. Mostly we cheered the folks we liked and jeered those that we didn't. Most of the Junebug Holler gang loved Jennifer Hudson, but they are the type of folks (i.e. functionally illiterate) who like American Idol. I, on the other hand, did not want Jennifer Hudson to win because that would only encourage the American Idol folks. I have not seen Dream Girls, and it might just be that Ms. Hudson put on a noteworthy performance. I just wish that she hadn't been discovered on that awful, awful show.

Junior became upset at the number of foreigners who were nominated for awards. He said it was all the result of "Mexicans running over our borders and stealing our jobs." I had to explain to him that Helen Mirren was neither an illegal immigrant nor Mexican, but he wouldn't let it go. Junior did like the part where Melissa Etheridge kissed her wife, though.

All in all, it was a fun night, and Dickie Jensen refrained from running nekkid through the party.

I'd like to thank the academy,
Stevie Joe Parker

No comments: